Login to cPanel
There are two possible paths to your Cpanel. Both work equally well, although I prefer the first option.
- Login to your cpanel @ yourDomainName/cpanel with the same username and password that you use for ftp/Cyberduck, or
- Go to reclaimhosting.com, click on "Client Area Login" in the top-right corner. Once logged in, click on cPanel in the main menu bar
- In cPanel, click on the WordPress icon to go to the WordPress Installatron page
- Click "Install" and make the following selections
- For "Directory", leave blank if you want to install at the root of your site (e.g. yoursite.com will lead to your WordPress site); specify a directory if you want WordPress installed elsewhere (e.g. specifying "blog" will install WordPress at yoursite.com/blog. For this first install, simply choose wordpress.
- Accept that EULA
- For WordPress automatic updates, select "Minor versions and security releases"
- Do not automatically update plugins
- Do not automatically update themes
- Do use automated backups
- Choose a username and password that you'll remember, and be sure to specify an email address you regularly use
- Do choose to install the Limit Login Attempts plugin
- Do not install WordPress Multisite
- Do allow automatic management of advanced settings
Cleaning up a new WordPress installation:
Now that you wordpress is installed visit yoursite.com/wordpress/login and login with the credentials that you just saved.
- From the dashboard, do the following:
- In Settings > General, delete your tagline (unless you want one) and set your timezone to New York
- In Settings > Discussion uncheck, "Allow link notifications from other blogs (pingbacks and trackbacks) on new articles" and "Allow people to post comments on new articles"
- In Settings > Permalinks choose the "Post name" structure
- In Plugins, deactivate "Cookies for comments", "Subscribe to Comments", and "WordPress Importer", then delete Akismet, Cookies for comments, Subscribe to comments, and WordPress importer
- In Posts, click "Quick edit" for the starter post and uncheck "Allow pings" and "Allow comments", then Trash the post
- In Pages, click "Quick edit" for the starter page and uncheck "Allow comments", then Trash the page
- Create two new Pages: "Home" and "Blog"
- In Settings > Reading, for "Your homepage displays" select "A static page". For Home page, select the "Home" page creat